Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Tim Brewster

Obviously I have been following the goings on the Gophers very closely this evening and the best I can ascertain is that nothing is certain. ESPN and Fox have both claimed that Tim Brewster is the coach, but the article on Fox9.com has a glairing inaccuracy stating that Tim’s son Clint is an assistant at Illinois and will be coming with his father to Minnesota. In fact, Clint is a senior in high school who will be attending Illinois next year as a star recruit.

While the report may be correct, I am not holding my breath. If this report is not confirmed this morning after the meeting with the players, then it is completely false, and I for one will be disappointed.

As I mentioned before, I am no expert on other team’s coordinators, but from all that I have read, he sounds like the real deal. Fans from Texas have claimed that he will be tremendous and lead us to the next level. Tom Lemming has claimed Brewster to be the best recruiter in the country. While both may be exaggerations, I cannot help but be excited.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Listening to yesterday's press conference, it's evident that Brewster has confidence. But, the thing I liked to hear is that he has high expectations to go with that confidence.

PA and Dubay made a good point this morning on the radio that most new coaches have a great first press conference. Everyone is usually feeling pretty good about the new hire after that first meeting.

But, what struck me most about the reactions to the new coach were the couple of players that commented. They talked about how excited they were, and that goes to show you that perhaps Mason just couldn't motivate the team any more. No matter whether Mason is still considered a good coach, it seems evident that his pull kind of ran its course with his own players.

Now, who Brewster adds to his staff will be exciting to see. Sounds like he's going to give all of Mason's staff an interview.

I hope that because we are paying Brewster less than what we paid Mason that we pony up some more money for the assistants.